Closing Error Reporting (Win XP)

Error reporting, what is it and why does Microsoft want you to have it on? Basically whenever your computer crashes Win XP makes a little report of what went wrong and then sends it to Microsoft so they can improve the Windows Operating System. Generally it sounds like a nice idea, but do you really want to be sending reports about your computer to Microsoft? I personally don't and they allow you to shut off this feature. Here's how you do it:

  • Open your control panel
  • Click on Performance and Maintenance
  • Then click on System
  • Go to the Advance Tab
  • Click on the Error Reporting button at the bottom
  • Select Disable Error Reporting
  • Click the "But notify me when a critical error occurs"
  • Click Ok Twice.

You can leave out step 7, but I like my operating system to tell me when its had a major error, mainly because I can look up the cause of the error and hopefully find a solution to it on the net or at Microsoft. There you have it, error reporting to Microsoft is off and you don't have to worry about sending a report to Bill Gates.

Comments